Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sassy's First Day

 My baby girlie started school last week. I was lucky enough to not have to work on her first day, so we could have a leisurely drop off and an early pick up. Leah woke up and we talked up school. Got her dressed in her new "Leah" shirt (so the teachers would know her name) and fed her breakfast. Sassy was too excited to eat. She happily got in the car for school. 
 We got to school and put away all of her things, and gave her teachers the supplies. Mommy and Daddy were feeling a little nervous, but Sassy walked in like a champ and began coloring. We had talked about school for a long time, and Sassy would tell us, "I go to school, and stay by myself, and Mommy picks me up at lunch!"
 After leaving Sassy in her class, we left. I got as far as the parking lot before I started crying. Where have the last 3 years gone? How is my baby old enough for school? We got home and I logged onto her classroom. We are lucky enough to have a "live feed" of her room. It's not the best, but it's better than nothing. Chris and I saw her dancing in her class. It made us feel better. When I picked her up she told me, "I just felt a little nervous at school". 
 Leah has gone for 3 days now (twice a week) and gets glowing reports everyday. Her teachers seem to really adore Leah. Every time I get her, they say, "She is just so cute!" Apparently before coming to the group area for carpet time she'll always announce, "Ready or not, here comes Leah!" Her teachers have also told us that it Leah is really smart. Leah has fun playing on the playground, visiting the farm, and playing with her new friends, who are all named "kid".  
 On the second day of school, we walked into Leah's classroom and discovered that the class was in another room, when we got to the other room, they were getting ready to go back to her classroom. We gave Leah her kisses and hugs in the hallway and sent her to join her class. Leah covered her eyes before entering the classroom. It seemed to be a combination of "I'm a little nervous, but I may be able to play it off as a game". It was really cute. Today was the third day of school, and the first time that just Mommy dropped her off. She walked right in and joined in the fun. 
Leah was both developmentally and emotionally more than ready for school, and I am glad we made the decision to send her this year. We are fortunate enough to send her to a great school, with wonderful reviews that is less than a mile from our home. I am excited to see what the next 2 years bring!
Preschool is COOL!

No comments: