Thursday, February 25, 2016

Iguanas and Other Wild Life



Look at this iguana. He was just posing on a rock, ready to get his picture taken. We were a little leery of the iguanas at first. My google research told me that can be territorial, and whip you with their tail and even bite. I obviously underestimated how tame iguanas that live at a resort are. We weren't sure what they ate (but did know that they sleep in the trees at night), but a nice woman told us that they really like melon. So, I got some melon. 

 This guy was quite hungry. Leah threw him a giant chunk and he kept pushing it closer and closer to Leah. She started getting a little freaked out by how close the iguana was, and then he looked up and got pretty freaked out, too. Not enough to drop the melon, though!
 Then he posed for a picture.
 Then Leah set off to find more. She was feeding these three, and then was like, "how do I get away from here? I'm stuck!" They didn't care if you got close, most of them would just stay there motionless while others would slink away.
 We fed the iguanas most afternoons, when they seemed to be the most hungry.
 There was other wildlife, too. Juliet found this hermit crab right by the restaurant. There were also a ton of geckos. I named them all "Tom" and we were always looking for Tom around the resort. One cloudy afternoon, after I had a few too many spirits, we set off for a walk with the kids so that Chris could catch one. He never could
 I really missed the tide pools that El Coz has. But, the iguanas were a pretty good consolation prize. 

No comments: