Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Juliet's Big Girl Bed (and the transition to her own room)


I loved every minute of having Juliet in our room. She was in our bed for the first year, and in a toddler bed next to our bed for the next year. As of Sunday, she is in her own room, in her own bed, at night. It is so bittersweet. 


Last week I started thinking about next year. Because I will be working in the afternoons, I plan on waking up early, before the kids, to get the things done that I did during their nap time last year. Juliet is a pretty good sleeper, but she does tend to wake up around the time Chris's alarm clock goes off and he showers and gets ready. She would usually climb into our bed to snuggle and go back to sleep, but would then sleep restlessly. I knew that wasn't going to work next year. Honestly, I've brought up the idea of her sleeping in her own room before, and she was always open and receptive. I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger. Since we are getting ready for vacation, I felt like we needed to make the move immediately so that it's not new to her when her schedule changes with vacation and me going back to work. 

She was so excited to sleep in her own room on Sunday night. She kept talking about it and saying, "You cry, Mama" because I told her I was going to cry. I put her in her bed and she slept for 10 straight hours. She was so proud of herself in the morning! Brain slept with her for the first night (I was so happy he did!). 

Of course I cried. I then insisted on taking a picture to mark the occasion even though I knew I would have to use a flash (Chris tried hard to persuade me not to), and said that if she woke up, I would be happy to wait until tomorrow to try it again. Of course she kept right on sleeping. I went downstairs and was crying thinking about how fast they both are growing. She is a happy girl in her new room, and that's really all that matters, though. 

No comments: