Saturday, October 1, 2016

Disney World Surprise!

 Since last Spring I have been planning our Disney trip. The girls are the perfect age, and I knew I wanted it to be a surprise. Leah, in particular, loves to research and plan adventures (just like her mama), but knowing we would be on a tight schedule, I didn't want her to get attached to any ideas of what the trip would look like, or what we would (realistically) be able to do in a day. Since neither Chris or I had ever been to Disney, either, and had no idea what to expect, we thought it was best to surprise the kids so their expectations wouldn't be inflated. 
Chris has been working a lot, so as a surprise, we all went out to lunch together last Friday. Leah thought I was taking her out (we planned once a month lunch dates now that we are at school together), and it was special that Juliet and Daddy were joining us. She thought she and Juliet would go back after lunch. After we ate lunch, we got an email that the power was out at school, so the afternoon was cancelled. Before the girls went back into the house, I told them I got them a box of "Friday treats" and to look through the box slowly, and not tear right through what was in there. Both were pretty excited.

They opened the box and found Mickey Mouse pajamas, sunglasses, ears, and autograph book, some random small Disney toys, Disney books, and a Disney tank. Then they got the the sign. Leah read, "Surprise, pack your bags, we are going to Disney World today!" and offered a weak "yay". Juliet cried "nooooo! I don't like airplanes" (I've never heard her say that before--and she's been on a plane at least twice a year since she was born) and then Leah asked me to open one of her toys. They didn't get it at all and our video is so anti-climatic it is comical. I will upload it when I figure out how to get it off my phone. However, once we took out the (packed) suitcases from the closet, both girls went crazy and started jumping up and down saying, "We are really going TODAY??!! YAY! You are the best Mommy!"
 Here they are ready for the airplane. They had about 45 minutes to pack their carry-on before Anna Nana came to get us.
 Brain saw the suitcases and thought it was best that he tried to get in. 

We had an easy flight down. Our airplane had personal entertainment in the seat backs, so Leah watched Alice in Wonderland and Juliet watched Ice Age and then took a little nap. We landed in Orlando around 6:30 and caught the Magical Express to our hotel, Caribbean Beach. At first, I was disappointed with the hotel and how big and spread out it was, but it really wasn't a big deal after all. The kids liked the pool and all the lizards around the resort, so I am not opposed to returning there one day. 


No comments: