Saturday, September 9, 2017

Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis

 We left Chicago right after breakfast. I had been reading how the roads into the band of totality for the eclipse were experiencing a lot of traffic, and even running out of gas and food on highways along the way. I was a little freaked out. I bought a cooler and filled it with a bunch of food and water just in case. Thankfully, we didn't experience any issues. The roads were clear, and we arrived in St. Louis a little after lunch. I didn't have anything planned because I wasn't sure how long the drive would take. The Arch was sold out, and it was so hot that I wasn't sure I wanted to be outside. So, I decided to go here! I've always been a sucker for beautiful churches, and I knew my God-loving Juliet would be excited, too. 

 The Cathedral was stunning. It reminded me so much of Italy. There was a tour just starting, so we happily joined in (I hope it wasn't a paid thing!). It was really cool to hear about the mosaics and the stories behind them. I love hearing stories from history, and the tour was full of these stories! We learned a lot about St. Louis, who seemed like a very honorable man with a slightly crazy mother. I loved seeing the stories from the bible represented all over the walls. It was interesting to see the smallest designs, and hear the significance behind them.  

 The church was huge. The tour lasted well over an hour, and the kids were captivated until almost the end. After about an hour, Juliet was ready to wander off and "read" the bible and dance in the aisles, and I was ready to go, too. Leah, surprisingly, wanted to stay and learn more. 

 I'm not sure why this part of the ceiling is red. However, it was very significant and important enough that I took a picture.  
 The alter reminded me of the Vatican -- which I always rank as first on my "Man Made Wonder List". 

 There is a copy of Michelangelo's Pieta, which is one of my favorite statues. We saw it at the Vatican. This one seemed smaller and less detailed, but stunning nonetheless. 
Right as the tour was ending, we had to walk to the opposite end of the church and wait for our group for the final room. We were one of the first people over. There was a priest, the tour guide, us, and an older couple. There was a baby being baptized over in one of the side "mini" churches. Juliet asked why babies are baptized. I tried my best to explain original sin to her and how holy water washes it away. She was not happy with the idea that people, especially babies, are born with sin. She asked why and I tried to explain Adam and Eve which was even more weird and confusing to her. The priest was watching us the entire time. Finally, she was obviously starting to get mad about the entire thing (and Juliet is never quiet when she is mad), and I whispered to her, "Not everyone believes that--It's a story some people tell in Church." I couldn't even look up at the priest and the guide, but I'm pretty sure I felt the daggers their eyes were throwing.  





No comments: