Saturday, September 9, 2017

Springfield and Abraham Lincoln

The girls were so excited to go to Springfield. They've been watching too much Simpsons and were very excited that we were in the same town as their favorite TV family (so inappropriate, but my mom never policed my TV--within reason--and I pretty much follow that example). Plus, The Simpsons is definitely better than Calliou and some of the other stuff they've tried to get me to watch. Juliet kept looking around the city saying things like, "That's the Quick-E-Mart!", "There's the Power Plant!" It was pretty funny. 
 We went to the Museum which was pretty interesting. I'm sure I got way more out of it than the kids. They liked it though. There was a room for kids with old fashion games and Lincoln logs and dress up clothes. They really liked that.  

I'm sure I learned about Abraham Lincoln at some point, but it was nice to have a little "refresher". His political tactics, strategies, and reasoning were really well described and interesting to learn about.  There was also a huge focus on his wife which I sort of didn't understand. I left thinking she was a pretty controlling, depressed woman. 
 Juliet really wanted to see his tomb, and so did Leah because she read about getting good luck by rubbing Abe's copper nose in a "Weird But True". So we drove over. It was very well maintained and beautiful. Abraham Lincoln is buried another 15 feet below his tomb. It was so weird to think how close we were to his remains. The girls didn't really understand it, and needed to be reminded SEVERAL times to stop playing and be respectful. I'm not sure it was worth it for them, but I'm glad we went. 

No comments: